At Careem we are led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve lives in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. We’re pioneering the development of innovative services to aid the mobility of people, the mobility of things and the mobility of money.
We’re in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We’re well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries.
About The Team
Lead Careem’s communications efforts in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to protect and enhance Careem’s reputation among colleagues, captains and people in our communities and position Careem as an industry thought leader, great place to work, partner to the Kingdom’s agenda and positive contributor to Saudi communities.
What You’ll Do
- Protect and enhance Careem’s reputation in Saudi Arabia to support key business objectives and drive growth.
- Collaborate on the development of an ambitious, KSA-specific communications strategy with monthly targets to engage and inform Captains and Colleagues while positioning Careem as a thought leader.
- Develop and secure placement of editorial content to position Careem as an industry thought leader.
- Drive a programme of continuous media engagement across Saudi Arabia to generate high-quality, impactful coverage of announcements, executive profiles, partnerships and other company news.
- Partner with the KSA General Manager to develop content for cross-functional leadership forums and country All Hands events for colleagues in KSA.
- Collaborate with Careem’s central Internal Comms team to provide KSA content to global internal communications channels. including Global All Hands, the intranet, CEO monthly communications to colleagues and the quarterly company internal newsletter.
- Develop and maintain trusted relationships with business and lifestyle Saudi media covering Careem’s business sectors.
- Work with senior business leaders to assess external speaking opportunities in Saudi Arabia and help spokespeople prepare for speaking engagements.
- Collaborate with the Social Media team within Corporate Affairs to provide insights on Saudi Arabia that will help the team tailor. Careem’s strategy to engage and grow the vibrant community of online followers across Careem’s four core corporate social media accounts: LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter and TikTok.
Crisis and issues management
- Join the cross functional crisis-response team and serve as a senior counselor to business leadership when managing major reputational challenges.
- Support the colleagues in the People Team and Corporate Affairs working on further development of Careem’s employer brand, with a particular emphasis on prospective engineering and tech colleagues.
What You’ll Need
- 8 – 10 years of relevant experience including at least 5 years engaging media in Saudi Arabia
- Experience developing and overseeing the implementation of complex communications strategies
- Commercial acumen, sound judgment and an understanding of how robust communications supports reaching business objectives
- Poise and confidence coupled with strong presentation skills and the ability to engage at all levels of an organization to clearly communicate complex information in accessible and memorable ways
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong understanding of communications measurement and evaluation
- Exceptional Arabic language skills including the ability to draft Arabic-first copy
- Strong English writing skills, a solid grasp of grammar
- Alignment with Careem’s purpose and a commitment to living our values
- Sense of humor: Careem aims to do everything with a wink
- Energetic and tenacious self-starter with an inner drive to proactively engage and follow up relentlessly to drive impact rather than output
- Tech-sector experience
- Network of relevant journalist contacts
- Social media strategy development
What we’ll provide you
As a Careem Colleague You Will Be Able To
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this.
- Be part of a Remote-First organisation
- Work from any country in the world for 60 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day
At Careem, we are driven by the purpose of simplifying the lives of people and building an awesome organisation that inspires. Based in Dubai, we started our journey as a pioneer of the Middle East’s ride-hailing economy. Today, Careem is the region’s everyday Super App operational in 13 countries and over 100 cities. The Super App provides a host of daily services that people need to move around, to order things and to transfer money in one unified smartphone app. Our goal is to simplify people’s daily lives so that they can spend their precious time and mindshare on things that really matter and on realizing their potential.
Careem is powered by awesome people. Our people are purpose-aligned and values-oriented. They are excited by the purpose of simplifying lives and building a lasting institution in the region, and live by our core values of shooting for the moon, being of service, and acting like owners. We thrive on diversity, and welcome people of all backgrounds who can subscribe to our purpose can live by our values, and have what it takes to build an institution that will inspire and last for decades and centuries to come.