About the job
Medical Scientific Liaison – Oncology (Riyadh of Jeddah)
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development, and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
Medical Science Liaison is responsible for providing high quality medical & scientific expertise via in-depth expert medical and scientific product/disease area discussions and presentations of detailed clinical data in a non-promotional scientific context.
This role will be responsible for a highly strategic product that will involve working extensively with external Health Care professionals to forge strong relations KEEs and developing strong advocates to support education in respective therapeutic area across the Gulf.
This role will be also accountable for sharing HCP’s insights to the brand team meetings and provide input for the development of company’s Medical and Brand plans.
What you’ll do
Build, enhance, maintain with scientific leaders (KEEs)
- Provide AZ with an understanding of the local medical community, clinical practice trends, HCP insight and real or perceived gaps in current scientific knowledge and medical treatment
- Share emerging data with HCPs, discussing all aspects of the data in a scientific, objective and balanced way.
- Responsible for identifying and developing scientifically based relationships with KEEs in Gulf markets.
- Work with HCPs as partners in scientific activities that help advance disease understanding and are consistent with Medical Affairs strategy & objectives, such as:
i. Interact in the field with the medical community in the context of various medical projects such as clinical trials, Non Interventional Studies, Investigator Sponsored Studies (ISSs), scientific exchange.
ii. Identify potential speakers and train speakers as appropriate for local events
iii. Provide recommendations for advisory board / round table discussion participants and serve as faculty/facilitators for advisory board meetings.
iv. Present scientific data to HCPs in both group (Medically led meetings) and one on one setting.
v. Facilitate continuing medical education events for HCPs.
Build or Initiate scientific programs to explore unmet medical needs in priority disease area(s) through obtaining and sharing valuable insights
- Provide actionable insights that enhance the value and appropriate use of AZ products and disease management to internal stakeholders
- Engage in strategic planning meetings with payer customers or hospital decision makers where the discussion of scientific topics is clearly separated from discussion of promotional and/or other business topics.
- Demonstrate expertise and knowledge of AZ products, emerging therapies, competitors, patient and treatment trends, clinical trials, and scientific activities within the Disease Area and continuously updates this expertise and knowledge based on training direction and approved resources provided.
- Support the Medical Manager and Marketing Team in development of non promotional and promotional materials/programs.
Act as scientific expert in priority disease area for internal stakeholders
- Continuously acquire and update necessary scientific knowledge on therapeutic area and relevant compounds.
- Provide the AZ internal stakeholders with an understanding of the local medical community, clinical practice, trends and real or perceived gaps in current scientific knowledge and medical treatment, competitor information
- Provide scientific support at AZ sponsored educational events
- Gather, monitor and share competitor knowledge that may affect company strategies
- Planning and executing regional medical activities during the product launch processes.
Medical Background Training
- Serve as a medical resource for the sales representatives and accurately answer any medical question they may have to help them utilize their approved materials and to help them understand therapeutic area.
- Participate/develop/conduct therapeutic area and product trainings and periodic scientific updates to the internal customers
- Respond to unsolicited requests for information about unapproved AZ products or unapproved uses of approved products, presenting such information in an objective, well balanced, substantiated manner that is scientific in tone and content, free of promotional messages, truthful, and is not misleading
- Demonstrate appropriate response and documents the provision of accurate, scientific data in response to unsolicited scientific questions posed by Healthcare providers with Company Policies, and applicable laws, regulations and ethical standards
Essential for the role
- Minimum of 1 year experience in Medical Affairs role in pharmaceutical industry
- 2 years of experience in Oncology therapy area is a must.
- Current familiarity with healthcare environment, including opinion leaders, academia, the medical community and related dynamics in Gulf region is desirable
- Established track record of basic or clinical research
- Fluency in English, Arabic is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in medicine, Pharmacy, Pharmacology or degree in biomedical sciences
- Postgraduate degree would be an advantage.
- Excellent ability to learn and acquire scientific concepts and knowledge.
- Demonstrated expertise in synthesizing scientific information and communicating it effectively at peer level with HCPs.
- Ability to work in matrix multicultural organizations and collaborate effectively with commercial counterparts
- Exceptional communication skills both oral and written as a need to deliver comprehensive presentations and facilitate discussions with small/large groups of health care providers and internal management (in English)
- Excellent problem-solving ability in addition to strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to demonstrate good business judgment.
- High sense of urgency and commitment to excellence in the successful achievement of objectives.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills to demonstrate leadership and initiative and demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed manner.
Desirable for the role
For Internal Candidates:
- Current familiarity with healthcare environment, including opinion leaders, academia, the medical community and related dynamics in Gulf region
- Other relevant pharmaceutical industry experience or previous clinical experience as an HCP (pharmacist, doctor) is preferable.
- Established track record of basic or clinical research