About the job
Smiths Interconnect is a leading provider of technically differentiated electronic components, subsystems, microwave, optical and radio frequency products that connect, protect and control critical applications in the commercial aviation, defense, space, medical, rail, semiconductor test, and industrial market segments. Smiths Interconnect is synonymous with exceptional performance whenever a technologically advanced, high quality solution is required to ensure reliability and safety.
Smiths Interconnect has 25 Sales, R&D and Manufacturing locations in 12 countries, including Canada, US (California, Florida, Massachusetts, Kansas, and Maryland), Mexico, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Italy, UK, Tunisia, India, China, and Singapore.
Smiths Interconnect’s technology brands (EMC, Hypertac, IDI, Lorch, Millitech, Reflex
Photonics, RF Labs, Sabritec, TECOM, TRAK and HSI) are synonymous with exceptional
performance in technologically advanced, high quality solutions required for a high degree of
safety and durability. Their extensive product portfolio includes high reliability electrical
connectors and cable assemblies, solutions for antenna systems, and a wide range of
innovative RF and microwave solutions.
The Global Medical Product Manager will be a medical connector and cable assembly portfolio subject matter expert. The key objective of this role is to drive revenue growth in line with the Smiths Interconnect Connector Business Unit strategic ambition. With a clear understanding of product-market segment attractiveness and competitive success factors, you will own the product vision, quasi-P&L and technology roadmaps.
This includes but is not limited to planned and reactive product development to address short, medium and long term agreed market and customer needs. Working closely with key stakeholders, you will clearly analyze, position, validate and communicate our competitive position in terms of critical customer success factors and ensure this is reviewed and communicate frequently.
This will require a structured and systemic approach to competitive benchmarking and dialog with elements of the customer decision making unit. Manage the medical product portfolio (business plan, positioning, buying process, market requirements and marketing plan). Articulate and prioritize problems that solutions should be built. Build an effective relationship and team Engineering, Operations, Sales, Finance and Marcom. Work closely in value proposition development and communication in advance of product launches and measure the effectiveness. Develop, own and gain agreement for a portfolio investment plan which allows the business to outperform the market, and provides insights into the portfolio life cycle and performance.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Lead, develop, recommend, agree, implement, and manage a Medical portfolio product-market plan to deliver growth to the business. Own the Contribution Margin for your portfolio.
• Monitor and analyze key performance indicators to determine how well the product is performing in the market, how it impacts the company operations and how it ultimately contributes to profit. Agree KPIs such as Contribution Margin, Revenue, Vitality, Adoption and Availability, measure and report on their effectiveness and efficiency.
• Be the subject matter expert for your defined product portfolio and its position within the external environment. Proactively update stakeholders with the portfolio’s progress.
• Input into market level plans and into the marketing communication system.
• Segment market-product sales, communicate and agree priorities for existing and new potentials. Lead the business in “STP” – Segmenting, Targeting and Positioning of your portfolio to ensure success.
• Measure and own the portfolio product life cycle. Take action to revive and reposition portfolio as needed
• Execute an agreed portfolio of planned product launches and support opportunistic customer opportunities in line with company processes
• Through competitive analysis and customer lead the building of key messages and support of early, mid and late-stage collateral
• Emphasize and understand competitive differences, drive differentiation through benchmarking programs and external audits.
• Define specific launch goals and strategies. Develop launch plans and supporting documentation. Ensure cross-organizational readiness. Track and communicate launch status.
• Provide product and market expertise for events such as conferences, tradeshows, webinars and seminars.
• Define and maintain product classifications and segmentations. Create and develop Product Requirement Documents (PRDs)
• Work with key stakeholders to drive ideation of new technology/products to drive alignment to the business strategy.
• Develop and manage pricing strategy.
• Design and deliver training programs to help the sales channels focus on how to sell the product, not how to use it
• Systematically review opportunities to drive higher sales.
• Fluent English language skills essential
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• 5 years Connector background
• Technical experience required.
• Demonstrated skills working across functional structures and teaming with Marketing, Operations and Engineering to achieve business objectives.
• Effective communicator and business leader with excellent management competencies
• Strategic thinking, Self-sufficient team player who enjoys a challenge.
• Very organized and internally driven.
• Highly experienced in client interactions and solution presentations.
• Strong decision-making skills required
• Ability to build and maintain relationships internally and externally.
• Excellent listening, verbal, numerical, writing and presentation skills
• Working knowledge of electrical systems and curiosity of the markets which we operate within
• Experience of managing P&L for a product line
• Must be willing to travel approximately 25-35% of the time (may vary from 100% travel one month to 0% travel the next).