Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work:
There is an opportunity to join Trowers & Hamlins' litigation practice in Muscat, Oman.
We are looking for a junior litigation lawyer with around 2 years' post qualification experience to work on a variety of matters with a primary focus on Omani court disputes, Omani ad hoc arbitrations and institutional arbitrations.
Experience of institutional arbitration is a significant advantage.
We work with a mix of domestic and international clients and the role would also involve working with our litigators elsewhere in the region and in London.
This is a busy disputes team which deals with a broad range of commercial, tax and construction disputes with excellent prospects for career development for the right candidate.
What you'll be doing:
The role will cover a broad range of tasks and will involve working closely with partners. In particular it will include:
- Drafting submissions in Arabic for Omani court matters
- Attending court in Oman
- Assisting with ad hoc and institutional arbitrations and drafting submissions (in Arabic and English) and assisting in the preparation of evidence
- Drafting notes of advice on discrete issues
What you'll need:
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at this grade. In particular for this role we require:
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files pro-actively
- Flexibility, positivity and an ability to work effectively in a close-knit office
- A good team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent academic record, ideally with a degree from a common law jurisdiction
- At least 1 - 2 years’ post qualification experience gained at a reputable firm, preferably with experience of common law disputes
- Fluency in Arabic and English, both written and spoken
- Prior experience of the Omani disputes market
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.
Key skill Required